Sunday, September 13, 2009

trains and how a scarf made my trip

A few years ago I'm living in Miami and I have to return to SF unexpectedly. Broke, I'm somehow able to get a very cheap train ticket. It's cold on my first night and in my haste to pack I have nothing for warmth, except a very large and beautiful scarf/shawl. I wrap myself in it, mummy-like, and am so thankful for my instant sleeping bag. Bleary-eyed in the morning I crave some privacy. Slumped down in my seat I envy those who wake up in a sleeper car. WAIT, my mummy bag. I unwrap myself and tieing and tacking my scarf becomes a seat divider. I am in my very small but private seat-space. I gaze lovingly at my scarf. That evening the train comes to a screeching halt. Yikes. Well, 15 hours later and we are still stuck in the middle of nowhere, and as circumstances like this make for odd bonding, my new bff's are these two guys going to a family wedding. A couple of hours more and I'm going to the wedding with them, only problem is I have nothing to wear. The next day I find myself in the lovely home of thier sweet but very mainstream parents. I'm givem some slack 'cause they see me as an arty SF girl. OMG, no dress. I stand in front of the full lengh mirror in the guest bedroom. Twisting and turning and tieing, this shawl WILL become a dress. This way's too sexy, that way's too messy. I finally work out a halterish knee-lengh thingy. Belted it'll work. It's all the rage at the wedding and a couple of days later back in SF with my scarf wrapped muffler-like around my neck, I realize you can make anything work, if you just re-work; and work it.

No comments:

Post a Comment